Full Time English as a Second Language/Writing Center Instructors
Published on: November 5, 2018 | Views: 1235
Type: Full Time
Sichuan University-Pittsburgh Institute (SCUPI) Writing Center invites applicants for a position teaching English as a Second Language and English Writing courses and offering one-on-one writing consultation sessions. The position will be available February 2020. We are seeking outstanding candidates with a demonstrated commitment to pedagogical excellence, especially in teaching writing and language skills to undergraduates. Successful candidates will contribute to the development of the SCUPI Writing Center courses and academic support. To this end, we invite applications not only from those with backgrounds in EFL or TESOL but also from related areas (e.g., linguistics, education, MFA in English, journalism) with experience in teaching writing-intensive courses, ESL courses, or working as a writing consultant in a Writing Center.
RANK and COMPENSATION
The opening is for full-time faculty position, rank and compensation depending on qualifications. Terms of employment, including salary, relocation and start-up package are competitive and on par with those offered by U.S. universities or their affiliated units in China.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Developing course and instructional materials, including syllabi, assignments, assessments, lesson plans, and reports
- Conducting Writing Center Consultation Sessions
- Holding office hours for students regarding coursework, writing consultations, and academic advising
- Performing general service responsibilities associated with academic settings of higher education in the U.S. and China
- One of the following degrees: MA in EFL, TESOL, or Linguistics; MFA in Writing; MA in English Literature, Journalism or related field in the Humanities and Social Sciences with qualifications and experience teaching ESL
- Minimum 2 years college-level teaching experience
- High level of English proficiency
- Flexibility and ability to work with others in a dynamic, collaborative environment
- Experience working in a Writing Center and/or teaching English for STEM
- Background in testing and evaluating student language abilities
- Experience in cross-cultural or global working environment
- Familiarity with curriculum and course development
- Experience developing and leading extra-curricular student activities and competitions
- Resume or CV
- Cover Letter
- 3 references
- Teaching Statement
HOW TO APPLY
Prospective applicants should email the required documents in pdf format. Use the subject heading “English Instructor Search,” and email to Ms. Zoey He (firstname.lastname@example.org).
About Sichuan University-Pittsburgh Institute
Sichuan University – Pittsburgh Institute (SCUPI) is an engineering institute formed in cooperation with Sichuan University (SCU) and the University of Pittsburgh (Pitt). Located in Chengdu, China, SCUPI is one of the institute-scale, collaborative entities between leading universities in the U.S. and China. The undergraduate program, focusing on advanced and sustainable manufacturing, offers three undergraduate majors in Industrial Engineering (IE), Mechanical Engineering (ME), and Materials Science and Engineering (MSE), following the Swanson School of Engineering’s core curriculum. Within six years, enrollment is projected to reach a steady state of 1600 students with a faculty of approximately 80 members. All courses will be taught in English. SCUPI will have a new building to be constructed on Sichuan University’s international campus in Chengdu, Sichuan. The building will house state-of-the-art teaching and research facilities and provide students with active and innovative learning experience. The SCUPI Writing Center houses the Institute’s Writing Program, offering required writing and language courses, in addition to providing academic support for SCUPI’s English as a medium of instruction (EMI) learning environment.