Full Time position for Professor in Digital Culture and Design
Published on: February 27, 2019 | Views: 1178
Type: Full Time
Sichuan University-Pittsburgh Institute (SCUPI) Humanities and Social Sciences (HSS) program invites applicants for a position in the Digital Humanities (broadly conceived) and to help develop a Digital Narrative and Interactive Design major. We are seeking outstanding candidates with a demonstrated commitment to pedagogical excellence, especially in teaching undergraduate courses. We are interested in candidates with an active research agenda as well as technical background in programming, developing, or designing digitally-based projects. We are looking for candidates who can contribute to a shared vision of building an innovative Humanities and Social Sciences program that addresses the unique needs of SCUPI students and harnesses the academic potential of Sichuan University and the University of Pittsburgh.
RANK and COMPENSATION
The opening is for full-time faculty position, rank and compensation depending on qualifications. Terms of employment, including salary, relocation and start-up package are competitive and on par with those offered by U.S. universities or their affiliated units in China.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Developing course and instructional materials, including syllabi, assignments, assessments, lesson plans, and reports
- Classroom teaching of four courses per term
- Holding office hours for students regarding coursework and academic advising
- Maintain an active research agenda
- Performing general service responsibilities associated with academic settings of higher education in the US and China
- Contribute the development of the Humanities and Social Sciences program and the SCUPI Writing Center
- D. in Digital Humanities, or in a relevant field with a specialization in digital media and culture, digital narratives, humanities/social sciences computing, GIS, new media, interactive platforms, game design, education technology, or other digital humanities-focused work; an established scholarly agenda in digital and humanistic/social science studies; and a strong record of teaching integrated humanities/social science courses. Preference will be given to candidates with demonstrated experience teaching digital humanities content at the undergraduate level and working with students on digital humanities-focused research projects.
- High level of English proficiency
- Flexibility and ability to work with others in a collaborative, dynamic environment
- Ability to teach coding, app design, game design, VR design, 3-D Imaging, and/or data analysis
- Experience in cross-cultural or global working environment
- Experience in organizing academic events and conferences
- Familiarity with curriculum and course development
- Interested in developing innovative courses and pedagogical approaches in the Humanities and Social Sciences for STEM students
- Resume or CV
- Cover Letter
- 3 References
- Teaching Statement
HOW TO APPLY
Prospective applicants should email the required documents in pdf format. Use the subject heading “Humanities and Social Sciences Search”, and email to Ms. Zoey HE (email@example.com).
About Sichuan University-Pittsburgh Institute
Sichuan University – Pittsburgh Institute (SCUPI) is an engineering institute formed in cooperation with Sichuan University (SCU) and the University of Pittsburgh (Pitt). Located in Chengdu, China, SCUPI is one of the institute-scale, collaborative entities between leading universities in the U.S. and China. The undergraduate program, focusing on advanced and sustainable manufacturing, offers three undergraduate majors in Industrial Engineering (IE), Mechanical Engineering (ME), and Materials Science and Engineering (MSE), following the Swanson School of Engineering’s core curriculum. Within six years, enrollment is projected to reach a steady state of 1600 students with a faculty of approximately 80 members. All courses will be taught in English. SCUPI will have a new building to be constructed on Sichuan University’s international campus in Chengdu, Sichuan. The building will house state-of-the-art teaching and research facilities and provide students with active and innovative learning experience. The SCUPI Humanities and Social Sciences (HSS) program supports SCUPI’s educational vision by offering courses that build students’ critical and creative thinking as well as providing students with global perspectives. HSS houses the SCUPI Writing Center, which offers required writing and language courses, in addition to providing academic support for SCUPI’s English as a medium of instruction (EMI) learning environment.