Full-time ESL Faculty Position
Published on: February 27, 2019 | Views: 65
The Sichuan University-Pittsburgh Institute (SCUPI) Writing Center is searching for a full-time ESL instructor to contribute to the development of a new and innovative language program. The successful applicant would work in the SCUPI Writing Center as a Writing Center Consultant giving one-on-one instruction as well as offering one section of an ESL course per term.
– Conduct one-on-one language consultations, assisting students with communication skills and strategies, which may include: writing, multi-modal compositions, oral presentations, reading, research, speaking skills, applying grammar-mechanics-formatting rules, identifying plagiarism and using appropriate citation rules, and so on.
– Teach ESL courses that prepare ESL students for success in an EMI environment: such courses would employ an active, student-centered pedagogy to develop speaking, listening, reading and writing skills.
– Facilitate ESL workshops: these workshops would address ESL issues related to speaking, listening, reading, and writing
– Maintain office hours, as well as attend Writing Center activities, placement test norming/scoring, and regular meetings.
In addition to the main responsibilities, candidates may be asked to:
– Assist in developing the Writing Center’s language curriculum, including: assessment, syllabus development, and Center research projects
– Contribute to the Writing Center outreach, which may include Web page content development, assisting with student group activities
– Stay current in ESL teaching methods, theories, and technologies.
– The minimum of a MA in TESOL or Applied Linguistics; or a certificate in TESOL and a terminal degree in the Humanities or Social Sciences.
– Applicants with terminal degrees in areas related to writing or communication who have demonstrated excellence in teaching ESL students, working in Writing Centers, or working in EMI environments will also be considered for the position (such as Journalism or a MFA in Writing).
– Salary, Benefits, and Rank will be based on degree, and level of expertise.
– Two or more years of teaching ESL courses
– Experience in cross-cultural or global working environment
– Writing Center experience
– Experience in organizing student events and activities
– Familiarity with curriculum and course development
– Experience in teacher observation, supervision, and/or training
– Development and use of assessment practices and procedures
– Demonstrated commitment to working with diverse populations on campus and in the community
– Materials/curriculum development in Listening/Speaking, Grammar, Reading/Writing, Computer Assisted Language Learning (CALL), Content-Based Instruction, and/or special or short-term programming
– Participation in professional ESL/EFL organizations
– Resume or CV
– Cover Letter
– A list of 3 References
– Teaching Philosophy
HOW TO APPLY
Prospective applicants should email the required documents in pdf format. Use the subject heading “Writing Center Consultant/ESL Instructor Search,” and email to Dr. McDougall (firstname.lastname@example.org).
As the realization of a new archetype involving institute-scale, collaborative entities developed by leading universities in the U.S. and China, the Sichuan University-Pittsburgh Institute (SCUPI) is an academic entity jointly established by Sichuan University (SCU) and the University of Pittsburgh (Pitt). The institute is one of five large-scale partnerships between an American university and a top-rate (985 level) Chinese university.
Having matriculated its first group of 100 freshmen in the fall of 2015, SCUPI now enrolls around 650 undergraduate students in three majors, including Industrial Engineering (IE), Materials Science and Engineering (MSE), Mechanical Engineering (ME). The institute’s focus is on advanced and sustainable manufacturing. Our technical curriculum complies fully with the curriculum of Pitt’s Swanson School of Engineering and all courses are taught in English. To enrich our students’ international experience, we implement dual-degree mobility programs, such as 2+2, 3+1, 3+1+1, for our junior and senior students. In addition to Pitt, our students study at Carnegie Mellon, the University of Southern California, University of Wisconsin, University of Minnesota, The Ohio State University and the University of Colorado. SCUPI will celebrate its first graduating class (2015) in the spring of 2019. SCUPI will continue to grow to an enrollment of 1600 students and 80 faculty members, which will be achieved in approximately 5 years. Along with this strategic plan, a 30,000 square-foot building is being constructed. This new space and facilities will offer even more opportunities for innovations in education, research, and career development. More information about SCUPI can be found at https://scupi.scu.edu.cn/en/.
The mission of the SCUPI Writing Center is to assist undergraduate and graduate writers in the Sichuan University community to become more proficient communicators in English. The SCUPI Writing Center accomplishes this mission by housing the English Writing Program and oversees undergraduate course offerings and tutorials in writing modeled on the University of Pittsburgh Writing Program. In addition, the SCUPI Writing Center offers academic support through one-on-one and small group writing consultation sessions for language-related issues.